Although bonding paint primers may not seem like a necessity when you’re in the middle of redecorating, the unfortunate truth is that without them, your project will never get off the ground. Follow this article for everything you need to know about bonding paint primers. So, you can finish your painting projects with complete success.
Let’s first know what is a good bonding primer.
Good Bonding Primer: Traits & Examples
The best bonding paint primer is a non-toxic, water-base product that adheres to the surface of your substrate and helps to prevent cracking.
Bonding paint primers are typically clear in color, but can also be tinted. They usually contain polymers such as polyurethane, silicone, or acrylics.
You should use a primer on every project. Because it makes painting easier. Plus, it prevents cracking and mildew.
There are many types of primers, including oil-based and water-based primers. There are many types of water-based bonding primers. But what makes one a good primer is that it enables the paint to adhere well to the surface and not leave much texture or scratches on your walls. For example, Acrylic resin, Epoxy resin, Polyurethane resin, etc.
In general, oil-based primers contain more pigment than water-based ones and require the use of a separate undercoat. For instance, Epoxy, Polyurethane, Acrylics, etc.
Bonding Primer: Types & Different Usage
There are a plethora of variety primer paints to use for each smooth surface and material you want to coat with it.
Some of the most common bonding primers include:
Latex paint primer: This is a non-water-based, thick, and viscous paint. That is typically applicable to dry surfaces before applying latex paints. It bonds with the entire surface by creating a flexible polymer film that will prevent the substrate from cracking or peeling during application.
Silicone-based primer: These are designed for use on substrates such as wood, metal, plaster, ceramic tile, and glass where they bond to porous materials. They also create a flexible polymer film that prevents any kind of damage to the substrate.
Epoxy-based primers: Primers that contain epoxy resin is eligible for use on a variety of substrates including concrete floors, wood floors, woodwork, paneling, vinyl siding as well as many other paint’ surfaces. They provide good adhesion between two dissimilar materials like plastic or metal by creating an adhesive polymer film in just seconds when it comes into contact with both surfaces simultaneously.
What Is Kilz?
Kilz is a brand of paint priming. This is a 1-gallon can of kilz adhesion with high bonding interior/exterior water-based primer in white. It covers approximately 300 square feet per gallon. Painters can use it on properly prepared surfaces free of dust, grease, chalk, mold, rust, and peeling paint. Besides, It is a perfect primer to protect wood, metal, and even plastic from the weather or other elements.
It also works as a color sealer and reduces staining on most surfaces. Kilz creates a permanent bond with the substrate by chemically bonding the topcoat of paint or finish to the surface in question. Just note that you have to mix well before using it.
The main benefits of using Kilz are:
- This primer is applicable on wood, metal, fiberglass, vinyl, plastic, painted drywall, ceilings as well as concrete.
- It has a long working time which makes it easier for professionals to work with.
- Kilz will not harm or discolor any surface upon contact because it only bonds with what is already on the surface in question.
How Does It Work?
Kilz creates a barrier between the paint and the surface so that the paint will adhere better to the surface. It also fills in any imperfections on the surface, providing an even surface for the paint. Kilz adhesion primer comes in many colors such as white, gray, black, etc.
Kwik Vs Kilz Seal: Which Is Best for Exterior Bonding?
Kilz is an ideal solution for exterior bonding. It provides a high-quality bond that can last up to five years. Whereas, Kwik Seal is a waterproofer that bonds to the surface of concrete, block, or masonry. It will work on any type of surface and be flawless indoors. So, it is not recommended for exterior painting purposes. Moreover, it doesn’t offer the same durability as Kilz and also has a low level of adhesion. Lastly, Kilz offers a more reliable bond while Kwik Seal offers better speed and ease of application.
However, for both products, you need to consider their price, warranty information as well as customer reviews before making your decision.
How To Fix Kilz Basement Waterproofing Stain Odor Issues?
Well. This is one of the common problems that many homeowners face. In this case, Kilz is the product that helps in achieving waterproofing and indoor enhancement. A user who has used it will notice at first sight how well this product works in protecting the house from water penetration and stain. You just need to follow the below leads:
- Firstly, clean the area with a cleaner that is for water-repellent stains. This is important because it helps to remove excess dirt and grease from the surface of the concrete before applying Kilz Basement Waterproofing Stain.
- Secondly, apply Kilz Basement Waterproofing Stain according to package instructions. Wait 30 minutes or until fully dry before re-applying any other coating materials.
- Thirdly, apply an application of Kilz Basement Waterproofing Stain Protector over top of your stained basement floor to help protect against future staining issues. Since it prevents future water damage in the future. It happens because of the prevention of the stain from becoming embedded into the concrete’s surface. That can cause mold growth or rot on your floors over time.
Here are several frequently asked questions and their answers. Also, read this part. You may find some quick answers to an arising paint problem.
What is the tsp substitute for paint prep?
There are many options for the tsp substitute for paint prep.
Some of these options include:
1. Sugar – 1/2 cup white sugar or 1/4 cup granulated sugar can be an option for 1 tbsp of paint prep.
2. Salt – One tablespoon of salt is equivalent to one teaspoon of paint prep, but useless if you’re substituting a larger amount because salt can dry out the surface and make it harder to apply paint.
3. Cream of Tartar – Cream of tartar helps reduce the surface tension on a freshly-painted surface so that it’s easier to spread the paint evenly without dragging or pulling on the underlying surfaces.
4. Lemon Juice – If you have lemon juice available, you can use it as an alternative to the cream of tartar in most cases. Where the painting is involved, like for small projects or DIY projects such as painting furniture pieces or craft items with acrylic paints.
What are the key specifications of latex primer?
The key specifications of latex primer are as follows:
1. Viscosity- It is a liquid. You can pour it easily.
2. Durability- The primer lasts for a long time because it’s resistant to water, heat, and chemical solvents.
3. Ease of application- It is very easy to apply the primer on walls because it doesn’t require much effort or skill to use it effectively on various surfaces like cement, plaster, concrete, brickwork, stucco, and woodwork.
What refers to glossy finishes?
Glossy finishes are the smooth, shiny finish that is applied to a surface to make it look attractive. It is often seen on surfaces such as cars, furniture, and buildings.
What are chalky paints used for?
Chalk paint is a type of oil-based paint that is used for interior and exterior surfaces.
What is Zinsser primer for wood?
Zinsser primer for wood is a water-based stain and primer that prevents the formation of stains on wood. It has been designed to be easy to use, fast-drying, and durable.
The main ingredients in Zinsser primer for wood are polyurethane-acrylic emulsion and polyester resins. These materials are found in many other paints such as latex paints, enamels, epoxies, lacquers, varnishes, etc.
What paint surfaces can acrylic primer be used on?
Acrylic primer is usable on any surface except porous surfaces. For example, walls, ceilings, floors, roofs, bathroom cabinets, furniture, metal surfaces, and concrete. It is a water-based primer.
How do I paint glossy surfaces?
For painting glossy surfaces, you will need a clear lacquer and a roller. The clear lacquer is operable to seal the surface of the object.
In order to achieve the best results with your paint job, you must follow these steps:
- Start by using masking tape on both sides of your surface so that it becomes easier for you to paint without any imperfections in between.
- Paint all of your desired colors onto the part of the surface where you want them to be applied and then let them dry for about 5 minutes before applying more coats if needed.
- Once everything has dried, use a wet sponge or brush and start rubbing off any excess paints from around your object’s edges as well as any other area that does not require paint coverage such as areas near seams or cracks in your object’s surface. Learn more practically by watching this video.
What kind of paint do I use on Formica?
The answer to this question is based on the type of paint that you are using. If you are using oil-based paint, then use a semi-gloss or gloss finish. If you are using latex paint, then use a matte finish.
How do I fix peeling paint?
There are two main ways to fix peeling paint.
The first is by using a water-based primer and topcoat paint. This will not only seal the paint but also give it a more professional look.
The second option is by using oil-based primer and topcoat paint. This type of paint is easier to use because it dries quickly. It is applicable in thin layers without cracking or bubbling up.
What is the main function of an exterior primer?
The exterior primer is what you put on the outside of something. It protects it from getting dirty and prevents people from seeing it through it.
Determining if Kilz is a bonding primer can be a time-consuming task due to the number of companies that market their products in this way. To clear up any uncertainty about the use of the product, it is important to contact the manufacturer and confirm their definition of what makes a product a “bonding primer. ” Though many companies define the product as such, the industry doesn’t have an agreed-upon definition of what a bonding primer actually is.
Consider sharing this content if you find it somehow informative. Do not forget to send us an email if you face any crux regarding painting projects. We always try to help our readers as soon as we can. Have a good paint experience.