Painting a kitchen can be a daunting task. There are a lot of different factors to consider before making a final decision on the type of paint that you want to use. You need to consider many factors such as what type of paint will work best for the area, how much the paint will cost, and the potential hazards of using certain paint. This guide is going to cover 10 different types of paints so that you have a starting point when searching for the perfect paint. So, let’s check the 10 best paint for kitchen walls and ceiling and find your preference.
Top 10 Paints To Use For Kitchen Walls And Ceiling
Generally, homeowners paint kitchen walls and ceilings according to decor and color palette. For a kitchen, you need to consider some other factors also to have the right paint for it. It is natural to be confused because of the endless options. Among many different shades of colors and qualities, we sort out the 10 best paint for your kitchen walls and ceiling. Let’s jump right in.
Firstly, check out the list of 10 best kitchen wall and ceiling paints:
- Prestige Interior Paint and Primer in One, Sea Wall, Semi-Gloss
- Microblend Interior Paint and Primer
- Diamond Brite Paint 21600 1-Gallon Semi-Gloss Latex Paint Off White
- KILZ Color-Change Stainblocking Interior Ceiling Paint
- Rust-Oleum 1990502 Painter’s Touch Latex Paint
- Rust-Oleum 02761 Perma-White Mold & Mildew Proof Interior Paint
- Zinnser 03688 Covers Up Stain Sealing Ceiling Paint
- KILZ Tribute Interior Satin Paint & Primer In One
- Prestige Paints Interior Paint and Primer In One
- Rust-Oleum Simply Home Interior Wall Paint
1) Prestige Interior Paint and Primer in One, Sea Wall, Semi-Gloss
Prestige Interior Paint and Primer in One, Sea Wall, Semi-Gloss is a great product. Sherwin Williams created this paint. It is a perfect paint for those who are looking to create an elegant look in their kitchen. This paint provides long-lasting paint that can resist wear and tear. It is non-toxic and will not cause allergies or skin irritations.
This paint has all the properties of high-quality exterior paint. Moreover, it contains primer. So it is usable on interior walls as well. It is waterproof and resistant to moisture which makes it ideal for outdoor use too.
- High endurance.
- Resistant to moisture and heat.
- Use-worthy both in interior and exterior.
- It may cause allergic reactions in people who have severe skin problems.
- It requires drying time and high temperature when used on ceilings.
2) Microblend Interior Paint and Primer
Micro blend interior paint is premium quality paint. It reduces the risk of lead, VOCs, and other toxic chemicals in your home. The micro blend process uses an innovative technology that creates the perfect balance between durability and energy efficiency.
This means that you will not have to worry about spending too much on maintenance or replacing your paint every few years. Because it is going to last for a long time. This type of paint also has a high level of UV protection, which prevents fading and color loss over time.
- Have a high level of UV protection.
- It is non-toxic, eco-friendly, and odorless.
- Used by professionals only because it provides an aesthetic touch in the house as well as a money saver when compared to conventional paint.
- Does not require priming or sealing clay at all as most other paints do before applying topcoat.
- Immediately ready for paint on the application after removing the protective film from the surface first.
- Not for use on exterior walls as it does not hold up in extreme weather conditions.
- Paint will only cover the bottom of one coat, which increases your printing costs if you are covering with two or three coats.
- Really hard to remove paint when removing from metal surfaces such as ceiling vents etc. Also, messy for those who like clean and neat spaces. Even though the pink color is skin-friendly but it would be harder to cover a white wall.
3) Diamond Brite Paint 21600 1-Gallon Semi-Gloss Latex Paint Off White
Diamond Brite Paint 21600 1-Gallon Semi-Gloss Latex Paint Off White is a semi-gloss latex paint that is use-worthy for interior and exterior purposes. It has an enamel finish that prevents peeling, chipping, and fading. This paint is applicable to wood, metal, ceramic tile, drywall, plasterboard walls, concrete block walls, and stucco surfaces.
This paint comes in both a white color as well as a brown color. It is also resistant to mildew, fading, and discoloration. This paint is functional over old paint without the need for priming or sanding first. The reason is it doesn’t contain any VOCs.
- It resists chipping, peeling, or cracking.
- The paint has a semi-gloss finish with a fast drying time of just 20 minutes.
- The paint glistens with the light reflecting off of it in a rainbow effect which helps to diffuse any shadows.
- Waste when one does not have adequate ventilation.
- Can create foul odors due to its petroleum-based chemicals.
4) KILZ Color-Change Stainblocking Interior Ceiling Paint
KILZ Color-Change Stainblocking Interior Ceiling Paint is a paint that can be applied to any interior surface, including wood, metal, plaster, drywall, and concrete. It has been formulated with the highest performance pigments available for color-change performance and stain blocking properties.
This paint provides long-lasting durability in all types of residential or commercial applications. It is easy to apply with low odor and low VOC content. The finish provides a hard coat that protects against water damage and other damaging elements while providing an excellent level of scratch resistance.
- The finish also resists stains from food, drink, bodily fluids. Such as urine or blood, cigarette smoke, and other environmental hazards by creating a barrier on the surface.
- The paint prevents water from penetrating the surface of a ceiling.
- Can be applied over existing wallpapers and flooring without damaging them.
- Minor scratch resistance if used on ceilings that have rough sketch marks, drawings, or symbols.
- Stain blocking ability is still one of its major problems.
5) Rust-Oleum 1990502 Painter’s Touch Latex Paint
Rust-Oleum 1990502 Painter’s Touch Latex Paint is a water-based paint that is perfect for latex paint. It has a low odor and dries quickly, which makes it the ideal choice for artists who are in a hurry.
This high-quality latex paint is applicable on a variety of surfaces including wood, metal, plastic, rubber, and glass. It has excellent adhesion and coverage with no sanding required. This paint is also very durable and resistant to chemicals like bleach and ammonia.
- Easy to apply and complete coverage.
- Can be used on a variety of surfaces.
- Good adhesion, even during wet operation. Adheres for a long period when applied over newly installed wallpaper or flooring.
- Chemical resistance is excellent. So, it does not easily dye off with bleach/ammonia effluent, etc.
- No UV protection.
- Residential customers have to consider a contractor for their work. But with certain care and attention, you can use this paint without any assistance from professionals.
6) Rust-Oleum 02761 Perma-White Mold & Mildew Proof Interior Paint
Rust-Oleum 02761 Perma-White Mold & Mildew Proof Interior Paint is a high-performance paint that offers superior resistance to most forms of mildew and mold. It also provides excellent coverage and adhesion on a variety of surfaces.
Perma-White Mold & Mildew-Proof Interior Paint is the perfect paint for all your interior and exterior needs. This thick, high gloss finish paint covers porous surfaces like drywall and plaster ceilings with a single coat. It is great on bare wood as well. Just spritz one coat of water or any thinning agent to dilute it slightly & apply. The paint dries within a few minutes.
- Provides exceptional resistance to mildew, mold, water, salt spray, and humidity.
- Excellent adhesion for superior coverage.
- Promotes healthy indoor air quality by reducing volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
- Enables quick drying time in hot or humid conditions.
- You have to be very careful with this product. It is a permanent color, and it does not come in an easy-drying spray so there are chances of overspray.
- It is not suitable to apply on fabric or porous surfaces because it dries too fast to prevent splatters.
- May damage oil rubbed bronze finishes if the paint is applied over the existing finish without proper preparation first.
7) Zinnser 03688 Covers Up Stain Sealing Ceiling Paint
Zinnser 03688 Covers Up Stain Sealing Ceiling Paint is a ceiling paint that offers protection from moisture, mold, and mildew.
This paint resists stains and water-based products well. Moreover, you can wash it easily without damaging its structure or properties, like color, texture, etc.
This premium paint has an oil-based formula. It helps significantly improve moisture resistance. The dual technology is eligible for both indoor and outdoor applications with quick drying times.
- It’s easy to apply and cleans up with soap and water.
- The formulation of this paint is with a high-quality primer. So, you can get an easy application without bleeding or shrinkage.
- It contains a penetrating finish sealer that keeps the paint from peeling or blistering on contact.
- The paint may be slightly different from some other products on the market because they are manufactured locally under the supervision of Zinnser Corporation.
- However, it can be a little difficult to work with. Since the color may vary depending on how much oil you apply to the surface.
8) KILZ Tribute Interior Satin Paint & Primer In One
KILZ Tribute Interior Satin Paint & Primer In One is a unique formula that combines satin paint and primer in one. It features a unique latex-free formula with an oil-based primer and finishes in one convenient can. This product allows for the same great look as traditional two-part products without the need to mix and match colors.
- KILZ Tribute Interior Satin Paint is long-lasting paint that offers beautiful results.
- This paint saves time.
- It has a long shelf life, which means you don’t have to worry about replacing it often.
- Moreover, it saves money because you only need one product instead of two.
- It could also be hard for inexperienced painters to use if they use a brush or roller.
- Plus, mixing the two solvents when applying is also hard, as you must use a separate brush and roller.
- It may create problems in the future when the buyer has to repaint or change the color of their kitchen walls.
9) Prestige Paints Interior Paint and Primer In One
Prestige Paints Interior Paint and Primer In One is a revolutionary new paint and primer in one, making the process of painting your interior home easy. It features innovative technology that is suitable to use on different surfaces such as wood, plaster, stone, tile, or concrete. The result is a long-lasting coat of paint with a beautiful finish that looks professional.
- The product also has low VOCs which means you can breathe easier while using it.
- It is easy to use. Moreover, it has a unique primer that allows for easy application and it is operable with a roller or brush.
- It dries quickly.
- The paint will adhere to most surfaces without any preparation required.
- The company didn’t assign guidelines because it is a new product.
- It could also be hard for inexperienced painters to use if they used this without the proper amount of preparation and instruction.
10) Rust-Oleum Simply Home Interior Wall Paint
Rust-Oleum Simply Home Interior Wall Paint is a paint specifically designed for interior walls. So, it can be an ideal option for your kitchen walls. Besides, this paint comes in a variety of colors. This paint dries quickly and provides great coverage without requiring any primer or other additives. It also has a low odor and contains no VOCs, making it safe to use indoors as well as outdoors.
The features of this quality paint are manufactured as if it suits well interior walls, ceilings, and trim surfaces. You can also use it in most rooms of your home including kitchens, bathrooms, closets, bedrooms, living rooms, and more.
- Rust-Oleum Simply Home Interior Wall Paint has a matte finish.
- The paint is non-toxic and safe for kids and pets.
- Furthermore, it is easier to clean up after painting because there are no shiny surfaces that need to be wiped down afterward.
- The cost of the paint is relatively high.
- It can be difficult to remove without professional help.
- There are many different types of stains that it cannot easily cover.
8 Things To Consider When Buying Paint For Kitchen Walls And Ceiling
The paint used in kitchens is essential. Besides, Repainting your kitchen can be a hassle if you lack proper guidelines on how to use the best paint for kitchen walls and ceiling. Choosing good paint for your kitchen could mean a lot of time spent cleaning up spills, as well as several future purchases to replace the old ones. But, if you follow an organized guideline and consider selective qualities of the paint, you’ll be able to save money in the long run. Here are some qualities to consider when shopping for kitchen painting supplies:
Almost all prioritize the quality to use high-quality paints. The core reason is high-quality paints tend to last longer and have better coverage than lower quality paints. It’s simple to understand the importance of quality. As you don’t have to keep on buying new ones.
Some other benefits of qualitative paint are:
- A Qualitative paint can help protect your walls from water damage by acting as a protective barrier between them and moisture.
- It will prevent mold, mildew, and bacteria growth.
- Besides, It can be used as an alternative for wallpaper in rooms with high humidity levels or where there are pets in the house that shed hair all over the place.
It is important to consider non-toxic paint for the kitchen walls or ceiling painting. Because it will protect your family from harmful chemicals. It is always better to use a product that EPA approves. As they guarantee its safety and quality.
If you are considering painting your kitchen, be sure to use the right paint and prepare yourself with these tips:
- Always clean any surface before you start painting so that dirt and dust won’t interfere with the process.
- Use a damp cloth or sponge on all surfaces of your walls, ceiling, windows, cabinets, doors, etc.
- Use brushes instead of rollers so as not to damage your walls while they are wet.
- Keep pets away from areas where you are working because animals can eat the paint off floors and leave stains behind if they get into the wrong place.
Painting your kitchen walls or ceiling with VOCs Free paints. Since VOCs free paint is an inexpensive and environment-friendly way to make your kitchen a healthier and more pleasing space. What’s more, it is easy to clean up.
Another main reason why you should use VOCs Free paints is that they have lower levels of volatile organic compounds (VOCs). As a result, you don’t need to worry about headaches, nausea, dizziness, respiratory problems-causes by VOCs.
Water-based paints are more eco-friendly than oil-based paints. They have a higher VOC content and therefore, cause less pollution to the environment. Additionally, water-based paint is much easier to clean up because it does not dry as quickly and is easily removed with soap and water.
Moreover, The cost-effective trait is important for kitchen walls or ceiling painting. The less expensive it is, the more you can save. There are many ways to reduce costs such as:
- Start with a small budget, then increase if needed.
- Use colors that are in line with your style and budget.
- Find a reliable painter who offers quality work at an affordable price.
Good Coverage is essential for kitchen walls or ceiling painting because it prevents water and moisture from seeping into the wall or ceiling. It is important to note that the paint should be applied in a smooth manner without any drips, bumps, or bubbles.
There are many amenities of using good coverage such as:
- Good Coverage allows the paint to dry faster which means less time waiting for your project to be completed.
- The process of applying for good coverage is easy and fast so you can finish your job sooner.
- Good Coverage saves you money because it prevents excess paint from being wasted on areas that don’t need it.
Neutral color is a safe and easy option for paint colors. It helps to create an ambiance of simplicity, clarity, and order in the kitchen. If you consider this trait before buying paint for your kitchen, you are going to have these facilities for sure.
- Colors like white, beige, gray, or black are calming colors that reduce anxiety and promote relaxation.
- Neutrals are soothing because they have little contrast between light and dark areas. It makes them ideal for rooms with mixed lighting levels such as kitchens with windows on one side.
- Neutral colors can make any room look larger because they do not distract from other colors present in the room.
The odor-free trait is essential for kitchen walls or ceiling painting. The paint used to cover the walls and ceiling of a kitchen must be able to prevent odors from getting into the air. Otherwise, they will become contaminated and smell bad.
The major types of odors that can occur in kitchens are cooking smells and food smells. Cooking smells come from foods being cooked in the oven, on stoves, or on grills. Food smells are caused by things like stale bread, fruit peels left around your countertops, meat juices dripping onto your floorboards, etc.
Easy to Clean Up
Kitchen walls or ceiling painting is one of the hard tasks in interior paint projects. Plus, it takes a lot of time to complete. But, you can make this challenging task easier by considering the Easy to Clean Up trait in paints.
The Easy to Clean Up trait will make the process easier because you won’t have to worry about paint splatters, spills, and messes in your kitchen when you are working on this project. Moreover, These type of paints easily wipes off and doesn’t leave any marks on the surface of the wall.
If you are looking for kitchen paints that have an easy clean up a trait, then the following are some options that will suit your needs:
- Behr Marquee Colors
- Behr Ultra Pro
- Sherwin-Williams Home Performance
- Liquitex Heavy Body Acrylic Paints (Water-Based)
- Winsor & Newton Soft Surface Acrylics (Water-Based)
Why Proper Color Choice Is a Big Factor?
These days, kitchens are being designed for the modern household, from high-end appliances to light fixtures. The kitchen can have a functional purpose without sacrificing style, which is why proper color choice is a crucial factor in the wall and ceiling painting. Every major appliance in a kitchen today needs a heating element to generate heat, so going with a darker color will cause a kitchen to get hotter than a room with a lighter hue.
Moreover, a person can use the colors of the wall and ceiling to create a mood. Nevertheless, many people are unaware of the importance of color in the kitchen.
The first thing that should come to mind is how to create a focal point in the kitchen with a wall or ceiling painting. One can do this by choosing colors that will stand out and draw attention. The most common color for kitchen walls is white, but there are many other options such as black, brown, yellow, red, and even green. If you have green walls with light blue ceilings, it will make your kitchen feel fresh and calming. If you have red walls with black ceilings, it will give off a feeling of warmth and safety.
In addition, different shades of the same color will look very bland and boring when they blend together. For example, if you want your walls to be blue with a hint of purple on them then you should use light blue and dark purple instead of just plain blue or purple. Because these two colors would blend into each other and make it difficult for your eyes to distinguish one from another making it less interesting.
If you have woodwork in your kitchen, then choosing an oil-based paint is recommended because it will protect the wood from molding and fading due to humidity.
The next thing that you need to decide is whether or not you want gloss or matte paint on your walls. Glossy finishes usually look more expensive than matte finishes which tend to make surfaces appear smoother and less shiny when compared with glossy finishes which may contain toxic chemicals like silica, titanium dioxide, hexavalent chromium (a carcinogen), or lead pigments (which can cause lead poisoning).
How to Paint A Kitchen? – DIY Steps
If you’re looking for a way to save money and get creative with your kitchen, painting by yourself might be a great option. It can also be a great way to introduce a pop of color to a room without breaking the bank. Here are the steps to paint a kitchen from start to finish.
In order to paint a kitchen, you’ll need some supplies and equipment before you start. The first step is to remove any trim or baseboards from the ceiling or walls of the kitchen.
Next, decide on a color scheme for your new look and find out what colors you have in your kitchen cabinets or walls.
Clean the surface of the cabinets or walls before painting so there is no dirt, dust, or residue left behind from other colors of paint.
Apply primer if needed and let it dry for about an hour before painting with a roller to prevent air bubbles from forming during the painting process.
Use a sponge brush to cover large areas in one coat, then use an old toothbrush to blend any edges in between coats of paint until they are all smooth and even.
After the first coat has dried, smooth out any air bubbles as best you can with a piece of clean cardboard or rolling pin which is covered in masking tape, and place it inside each corner.
Cover all open spaces again by shimmying paint up between cracks on the walls until there are no more possible areas for splotches to occur during painting. Your second coat shouldn’t take too long at this point since your last coat should have dried.
Remember the cardboard that was placed in each corner by air bubbles? It’s time to move those squares down and up for your next coats, adding about an inch of paint on both sides until it reaches the ceiling or walls. At this point, you can either add some tape around the outside with a balloon works great! if you want another bright pop at a low cost or use corners by using paint sticks.
After your roller is empty, paint with a brush to add a face if necessary. Once that’s done and all of those corners are smooth and even, move on to the next coat which should only take some time since another long dry time can be expected in between coats at this point. Also, remember not to forget walls or other vertical surfaces where the painting might involve getting a little closer to the ceiling.
- Make sure you are using the right paint for your project.
- The correct primer is needed to ensure that the paint sticks well to the surface.
- If possible, use a roller instead of a brush because it makes painting easier and more efficient.
- Use an eye protection mask and gloves while painting to prevent any injuries from accidental splashes or falls.
- If you are working on a particularly textured surface, make sure that you give it ample time to dry before continuing with the next step in your project.
Watch this video to learn more practically about how to give your kitchen a professional look.
Also, read this section attentively. Following FAQs might help you more to get insights about the best paint for your kitchen walls and ceiling.
What is the difference between satin eggshell and semi-gloss paint?
Semi-gloss paint is a type of paint that has been applied in a two-coat process, with the second coat being lighter than the first.
Satin eggshell paint is also known as matte or satin finish and is typically used on walls, ceilings, furniture, doors, windows, and floors. It has a more subdued sheen which makes it suitable for areas where you want to avoid highlighting too much such as high traffic zones like hallways or bedrooms.
Do I need special paint for the kitchen ceiling?
Yes, the paint that you are looking for should be one that is water-based. The reason behind this is that it can be easily cleaned and has a high gloss finish. It also should have UV protection in order to prevent fading and yellowing over time.
How can one maintain a very small kitchen beautifully?
To maintain a small kitchen beautifully, you need to be very creative and do some research on the type of items that will fit in your space.
You can make use of an island to create a workstation or keep the sink out of the way with a peninsula. You can also consider having an alcove near the entrance where you can place cabinets or shelves.
Finally, if you have children, then try to keep them out of your kitchen as much as possible and avoid any sort of obstructions so they don’t get hurt when moving around.
What happens if I mix flat paint with satin paint?
When you mix two different types of paint, the resulting paint is usually called a mottled color. For example, if you mix satin and flat paints together, the resulting paint would be called satin-mottled.
Satin-mottled is a great color for kitchen painting because it is neutral and goes with almost everything. It also helps to make the walls look cleaner, more elegant, and more natural.
If you want to paint your kitchen in a bright color, satin-mottled would be the best option as it can help balance out the intensity of the color while keeping it neutral.
Do I need two coats of paint finish on kitchen cabinets?
Yes, two coats of paint finish are the standard recommendation for kitchen cabinets. The first coat should be a primer and the second coat should be either a gloss or semi-gloss paint finish.
What is eggshell paint finish?
An eggshell paint finish is a type of paint finish that has a textured surface and is achieved by using the remnants of eggs. It looks like the surface has been peeled off in layers, creating a unique pattern on the walls.
The first step to creating an eggshell paint finish is using leftover raw eggs to create an even layer on the wall. Once you have done this, use your hands or a spatula to press down on the surface and peel it off in thin layers.
This can be repeated until you get the desired effect. The final step would be to apply primer before painting your wall with regular paint.
Is high gloss paint good for kitchen walls?
Yes, high gloss paint is a good option for kitchen walls.
There are many benefits of using high gloss paint on your kitchen walls. It helps prevent corrosion by improving the surface of your wall and it also makes cleaning easier because you can wipe away the dust that builds upon the walls with a damp cloth or sponge.
It also prevents dirt from getting into cracks in the drywall, which can cause mold to grow and affect other parts of your home like electrical outlets and plumbing pipes.
Is mildew-resistant paint also mold resistant?
No, mildew-resistant paint will not be mold-resistant because the paint is treated with fungicides. That is intended to kill the fungi before they grow into large colonies.
What’s the best wall color for kitchen walls?
The best wall color for a kitchen is one that will match the style of your kitchen. For example, if you have an industrial or farmhouse-style kitchen, then choose a light neutral or white color.
On the other hand, if you have a contemporary or modern-style kitchen, then choose a dark color like charcoal gray.
Where can I buy the best paint online for kitchen walls and ceiling?
The best place to buy paint online is on Amazon.com. It has the widest range of colors and finishes to choose from and it is always on sale. Amazon also offers a selection of brushes, rollers, and other tools that will help you create your masterpiece with ease.
In our compendium, the best paint for kitchen walls and ceilings has to have the right texture, color, and durability. This is why it’s important to take your time when picking a paint that will suit your needs. Further, you can ask our team of experts if you need any help choosing the best paint for your kitchen. Our experts are here to assist you with any questions you may have regarding choosing the best paint for your kitchen.
If you find this blog informative enough, consider sharing it with your friends on social media. To get more updates as well as tips regarding paint projects stay tuned with PaintEver.